Image Map

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Selective Coloring


A fun effect I love to use on layouts is to do selective coloring as in part of the photo is in color while the rest is black and white. This is especially fun for me when those colors do match the kit. It really helps make it pop! Here's a picture I did in a layout recently where I loved the colors in her dress and bows and didn't want them lost with the b&w photo but I knew the background of the photo might be too much for the layout.



So start with the original photo and get out the Quick Selection tool.



Now select the areas you want to be in color and not in b&w. Use a small brush size and slowly select the areas you want.



If you accidentally get an area you don't want, you can select the wand with the (-) sign to de-select areas.



Once you have the area selected, copy-paste the selection on a new layer. Then apply the black and white action on your original photo with the selected area on a layer above it. And you're done!



Really simple! Try it out! I'd love to see what you do with it!

Pin It!

No comments: